Your child has come to you and tells you they want to be a Vegetarian or a Vegan. What do you do? As a parent, we listen first.
- Ask and let them explain why it is they want to change the diet
- Talk about any concerns you may have as far as any vitamin deficiency they may incur and how they may have to take a multi-vitamin to substitute any missing nutrition (vitamins B12, iron, calcium, etc….)
- Support them and let them know you appreciate their effort. Once a week cook a vegetarian/vegan meal for the entire family
- Always have foods available for them to maintain their food choices (fresh fruits and vegetables)
- Allow them to find and cook their own vegetarian/vegan meals
Last but not least, always keep the doors of communication open and make sure you and them are educated about veganism and vegetarianism.